Saturday, June 2, 2007

Why I Write

This is one of the exercises from a book I read not long ago. I've forgotten which one but I found it in a notebook and decided to reproduce it here to remind me why I write. At some point I expect my writing fears will change. In fact, I believe they already have.

I write because I enjoy it and I'm good at it. Writing my last story was worthwhile because it captures an aspect of childhood people can relate to. The fun of writing happens when you find exactly the right words in the right order to convey exactly what you want to say or to evoke exactly the place, time or emotion you want to realize. In spite of the struggle, I'm willing to keep writing because it is part of my God-given purpose. I have something to say that children need to hear.

I'm afraid to write because sometimes it just seems too hard. I don't think I'll be able to say what I want to say the way I want to say it. (Read: not good enough.) I have trouble getting started because I have trouble getting started with most things in my life. Once I do start I have to commit to the thing. Starting means I'll have to finish, or worse, live with the guilt of not finishing. So sometimes it's better not to start. My worst fears about writing are that I won't do it well and that I won't finish what I've started.

2 comments:

Wordsbody said...

Hi,

I can relate to some of what you've set out in this post, about being a writer. It's joyful and painful, yet we keep at it.

Write on, and thanks for visiting my blog.

MW

corey said...

stumbled across your blog. dont ever let the fear take hold, its only a thought you've created, so you can always create its opposite in thought and reach the divine.