Thursday, June 7, 2007

Write Away


I just had to write my own little review of this wonderful book. It's one of the best writing books I've read and I've read a lot. What Ms. George does is not only let you in on her own (very intricate) writing process but also through her novels instructs you by example on plot, character development, point of view, how to use research, etc. Each chapter begins with an excerpt from John Steinbeck's Journal of a Novel, which he wrote while writing East of Eden. This demonstrates something she suggests doing which is journaling while you write your novel. Steinbeck's musings are an intimate look into his thoughts while writing. As great a writer as he was, you'll be glad to know he suffered the same insecurities we do. Write Away is a priceless addition to any serious writer's collection. I borrowed it from the library but I intend to get my own copy. I know I'll be referring to it again and again.

No comments: