Saturday, December 29, 2007

Starting Out

For months now I haven't felt like writing--it's as if my entire desire to write had left me. Despite this feeling I always knew I'd come back. I've always known that I'm not a one-book wonder. The call to return to writing has not been for writing children's books, much as I'd like it to be. I feel the need to complete the novel I started during NaNoWriMo last year (which is why I wasn't able to participate this year; I didn't want to start something new).

So, I knew that someone, something, somewhere would draw me back. Today it happened watching the movie, Starting Out in the Evening. This portrait of a once well respected literary writer is a movie every writer should see. It is so engrossing I felt I couldn't miss a moment (even though I needed to go to the bathroom for most of the movie). Frank Langella is devastating in a subtly nuanced performance. I've liked him since the first time I saw him with Carrie Snodgrass in Diary of a Mad Housewife. He's so handsome! Even though he's much older now he still has that magnetism. Lily Taylor as his daughter and Lauren Ambrose as the young woman who reawakens his desire are also both top notch.

Something about Langella's character, Leonard Schiller, and his need to write even when the results are unfruitful (he's spent the last 10 years on his latest novel only to finally admit that his characters aren't going anywhere) has aroused in me the desire to write again. (Go figure!) I must say it is a relief; a writer who is not writing is a sorrowful thing. Two of my favorite scenes are the very beginning and the very end when Schiller is sitting at the typewriter, thinking, looking at the paper with a burning gaze, and then...he starts to type. Every writer has sat like that--thinking and typing, typing and thinking some more. I miss the excitement of having the words say exactly what you envisioned, evoking just the right emotions.

I want to be doing that again. So I went to Barnes & Noble for some more inspiration and found a new book by Walter Mosely entitled, This Year Your Write Your Novel. As the title suggests, Mr. Mosely offers up technique, tips, and advice for completing your novel in one year. I'll write my impression of it when I've finished.

In the meantime, it's good to be back!

1 comment:

Rediscover Raw Food said...

I'm a fiction writer, though I haven't figured out how to squeeze much money out of those pages yet! I've published some short stories, and I'm working on finishing a young adult novel. Having started 2other novels, this is the one it seems most likely that I'll finish. Glad to see you're back at the typewriter! Once a writer, always a writer, thank goodness!
P.S. Sorry, if this is a repeat comment. I've had some trouble with Blogger!