Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Very First School Visit

I had my very first school visit last night at George D. Lisby Elementary School at Hillsdale in Aberdeen, MD. I made the connection through someone in my church writer's group. It was their reading night. I had a wonderful time and was only sorry I couldn't spend more time with the kids (I did two sessions that were only about 20 minutes each). I was also sorry that I didn't get to take any pictures--gotta remember a camera next time. I got an enthusiastic response and my writing friend (KC) said they may ask me back. Woo Hoo! This may finally be the beginning of the school visit career I've been procrastinating about for 3 years.

After the visit, KC and I went to Denny's for "breakfast" and a critique session for a wonderful story she's written about a child grieving the death of her father. It is beautifully written with some lovely poetic passages that evoke sadness but also hope. It deserves a good home. We're looking for the right one now.

No comments: