Saturday, July 25, 2009

Old Friends and New Stories


I'm here in Atlanta for an extended weekend with an old college friend. We hadn't seen each other for over 30 years until she found me again on Facebook. It was so good to hear from her. All the good times we had came flooding back into my memory and now that we're back together again it seems we've picked up where we left off, albeit older and, hopefully, wiser than we were then.

My friend is an avid semi-professional musician who plays every chance she gets. Her fervid love of music makes me question my own commitment to writing. Am I a writer or not? More importantly, do I want to write or not? I won't try to imitate her very high level of devotion to her craft, that would be inauthentic at this point. But I know I have many stories to tell and each day that passes gives me less time here on earth to tell them. So I have a decision to make.

In the meantime, my friend has blessed me a marvelous idea for a story that we're going to work on together. I'm not known for being a collaborative writer. In fact, previous attempts proved distastrous. But I have high hopes, just from our discussion of the plot, that this could work out very well and could be the start of a beautiful writing friendship. We'll see what happens. For now, I have a chapter book to finish and a pb to get out the door again.

So many ideas and only so many hours in a day. There' s no time to waste.

No comments: