Saturday, January 8, 2011

Who am I as a Writer?

Who I am as a writer is inextricably tied to who I am as a person and how I relate to others. I have always cared deeply for people and I believe people can sense that when they meet me. I'd like that caring and compassion to reflect in my writing, especially my writing for children. The world has some hard lessons to teach and they can be learned in many ways. Some are necessarily painful but some can come as tiny revelations, gentle epiphanies that can come through a well crafted story. A reader can learn vicariously through a protagonist with whom they can identify. That struggle on the page can be the eye opener, imparting one piece of knowledge that helps one move more easily through this world. That is my ultimate goal as a writer. To entertain, yes, but also to enlighten.

No comments: