Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Amazing Ailey




This has nothing to do with writing but I have to give a shout out to the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre. The company is truly amazing. Powerful and perfect. This evening's program was special for me because they're celebrating Revelations at 50. Imagine Alvin Ailey debuted this wonderful ballet in 1960. I saw it in NY years ago and never tire of seeing it. One magnificent ballet was The Prodigal Prince choreographed by Geoffrey Holder. When I discovered that he designed the costumes as well I was not surprised. The entire production was just as flamboyant as he is.

I did get a little thrill when I emerged from the theater to go to the ladies room--I ran straight into Judith Jamison walking swiftly and regally with her entourage headed backstage. I wish I could have engaged her in conversation, even for a moment.

Well tomorrow AWP. Having a wonderful time. Wish you were here.

No comments: